Research consistently demonstrates that the most difficult barriers faced by people with disabilities come from the attitidues and behaviours of other people. That is why having staff who are disability aware, welcoming and positive is essential.
If you want to increase your staff’s disability awareness and confidence in interacting with disabled people, whether colleagues or customers, this half-day seminar is suitable for your organisation. It has a practical, informal approach to ensure participant enjoyment and learning.
Participants have the option of applying for “Disability Positive” Accreditation, the only accreditation scheme of its type in NI.
- Disability Discrimination Act: summary and case studies
- Language etiquette: exercise
- Overview of five key disability areas:
- sensory, visual, learning, physical, hidden (including mental health, autism, dyslexia)
- adjustments for employees and customers with disabilities
- video clips: visual, hearing, speech, physical, learning, mental health, autism
- Assessment (optional):
- Score of 70% or more – the delegate gains accreditation as “Disability Positive”
- Lasts approx 20 minutes
- Confidential – no one else will see the delegate’s score – each person will be contacted after the event when the assessments are scored